The Eglise St Jacques (St Jacques Church) is located at the far end of the “Béziers acropolis”, to the south of the old city. The church and the St Jacques district have always been located outside the city walls, a few hundred metres from the mediaeval surrounding wall and close to the city's Gallo-Roman heart (the remains of the amphitheatre are still visible in Rue des Anciennes Arènes). The first known abbot, Aymeric, is mentioned in documents dating from the year 907. The Viscount of Béziers, Raynard II, was buried here in 969. After the abbey was abolished in 1790, St Jacques became a simple parish church.